www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <craig.russ...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Customer reference in NOTICE
Date Fri, 23 Nov 2012 22:30:53 GMT
On Nov 23, 2012, at 12:09 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 4:26 PM, Francesco Chicchiriccò
> <ilgrosso@apache.org> wrote:
>> ...A part of my current work for Syncope is actually paid by one of
>> my
>> customers that is actually financed in turn by SURFnet.
>> They explicitly required that such code has to be part of the
>> official
>> Syncope repository and releases...
>
> As others have said, you cannot accept this clause - including that
> code is a decision of the receiving PMC, you can only commit to best
> efforts that will help make that happen.
>
>> ...and are also asking to include in the
>> NOTICE file the following extract...
>
> I also agree with others that NOTICE is not the place for such things
> - in the good old Cocoon times we used
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/branches/BRANCH_2_1_X/CREDITS.txt
> which works well IMO, as long as you state only true facts in there.
>
> -Bertrand

In the OpenJPA project, there is a "Thanks" page for individuals and
organizations who helped the project in various ways. I would see no
issue if Syncope created such a page and listed SURFNet as helping to
fund the implementation of such-and-so feature.

http://openjpa.apache.org/thanks.html

Craig

Craig L Russell
Architect, Oracle