www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Francesco Chicchiriccò <ilgro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Customer reference in NOTICE
Date Thu, 22 Nov 2012 12:07:45 GMT
On 21/11/2012 23:49, Martin van den Bemt wrote:
> Besides legal questions, I think the question is merely if we want
> this to happen at the ASF.
>
> Why aren't all other companies in there that are paying people to also
> work on open source ?
> How is possible that a company requires the ASF to put it in the
> source repository. Isn't this a community decision ?
> You actually made a specific branch to work on this code, which we can
> based on the information I have see as a vendor branch ?
> Why is this investment worth more than investments of other companies
> in the various projects of the ASF. I can name a lot of companies
> without their name in the NOTICE file which at least should receive
> the same treatment.
>
> It could be that my worry that a line is getting crossed here is based
> on incorrect or incomplete information or that the spirit of these
> kind of things have changed during my "inactivity". Based on what I
> learned here more than 10 years ago from the "ASF veterans", this just
> doesn't feel right.

Hi Martin,
I've just realized that there are few missing pieces in my mail below:

  1. the feature we are talking about (Role Provisioning) was already
present in Syncope's roadmap [5] *before* any external engagement
  2. I've created a separate branch for development purpose only, since
its scope is to be eventually merged into the trunk - as reported in
SYNCOPE-171 [6] (and explicitly requested by SURFnet, anyway)
  3. This is my customer's customer request, not mine, and I am only
checking the compliance with ASF rules and principles; if this is not
feasible, I will just report to them

Having said that, I'd like to understand what "doesn't feel right" exactly:

  a) the fact that someone is paying someone else to develop some code
for a feature in roadmap, and also requested such feature to be
contributed back to the original project instead of laying in some
private repository

  b) the fact that they requested to report such fact into the project's
NOTICE file

If (b) - as I hope - do you think that things would have looked
differently if they would have asked me to develop the feature in a
private repository and then would have donated such code as a bundle (as
it seems to happen with Rave [2])?

Regards.

[5] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SYNCOPE/Roadmap
[6] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SYNCOPE-171