www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Daniel Shahaf <...@daniel.shahaf.name>
Subject Re: Clarification on hosting prohibited works on Apache Servers
Date Mon, 05 Nov 2012 18:53:51 GMT
Rob Vesse wrote on Mon, Nov 05, 2012 at 18:13:26 +0000:
> Hi All
>
> I recently noticed that a TLP who I follow (Lucene.Net) may have
> fallen afoul of the Apache policy on the hosting of prohibited works
> on Apache servers and would like to get clarification on whether they
> have done anything wrong and what would need to happen to rectify the
> problem (if there is one).
>
> The issue I'm concerned about is that their releases have a dependency
> on a prohibited work (GPL) which as I understand is not in of itself
> prohibited and I should add that their release packages do not contain
> this dependency directly.  However they do contain a ReadMe stating
> that these dependencies are required (again as I understand also OK)

Mandatory GPL dependencies are not permitted.

> but the problem I think they have is that their ReadMe points users to
> download copies of these dependencies from a directory on the Apache
> SVN server
> (https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene.net/tags/Lucene.Net_3_0_3_RC1/lib/)
> which as I understood it is not allowed.

Using svn.a.o as an end-user-facing download point is not permitted,
either.  They should use dist/ instead.

Did they did just link to the tag because they were told that stuff was
not allowed on dist/?  If so, it wouldn't be the first time that happens.

GPL is not completely prohibited in dist/, but AIUI it should be labeled
appropriately (e.g., by putting it in separate "-deps" packages).

> Can someone clarify if they have done anything wrong and if so what
> steps if any they should take to rectify this?

Above is my understanding, speaking as an individual.