www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: short file short notices
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2012 01:26:15 GMT
Lawrence Rosen wrote:
> Someone quoted:
> >
> > (Personally, I don't see why Craig's short header[1] stating simply
> > "Licensed under the terms of
> > http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0" does not suffice for
> > everything we do.  But IANAL, etc...)
>
> Suffice for what purpose? No notices are *required* to comply with copyright or licensing
law, but for the purpose of notifying recipients of the origin and availability of a file,
I suggest the following two-line minimum notice:

>      Copyright (C) 2012 The Apache Software Foundation.
>      Licensed under the terms of the http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.
>
> Even that, though, is merely a nice-to-have, and so we shouldn't care that it is moved
in some cases to the bottom rather than the top of a file. Or even omitted entirely for files
shorter than 2 lines. :-)

Thanks for the clear and complete answer Larry.
Please remove the fly-speck at the end of the URL.
Could we also not have the Year if possible?

-David

on my TLP that would be solved by short headers (and is not solved by the rules that exclude
some things from copyright altogether)". Any number of us who think it would be a good thing
in theory, but who don't represent an actual practical problem, won't cut it.