www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Lawrence Rosen" <lro...@rosenlaw.com>
Subject RE: short file short notices
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2012 02:26:17 GMT
Benson Margulies wrote:
> Virtually nothing is 'Copyright Apache Software Foundation'.
> We don't ask people for copyright assignment.

The second sentence above is true, but the first sentence is not. The first sentence that
you wrote is an example of an Apache urban legend that has crept into our FAQ and our practices.
And the second sentence is simply irrelevant entirely.

Virtually everything we publish is "Copyright Apache Software Foundation." The scope of our
copyright may be rather narrow, in that others actually wrote much of the code. But like a
magazine publisher, we can assert our copyright on the collections of software or documentation
that we publish. That single Apache copyright notice also protects the underlying copyrights
owned by our contributors.  See 17 USC §404(a). In that context, the Apache copyright notice
is a good thing we do for our contributors, not a bad thing.

/Larry