www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: short file short notices
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2012 17:47:44 GMT
On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 12:00 PM, Marvin Humphrey
<marvin@rectangular.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 8:28 AM, Craig L Russell
> <craig.russell@oracle.com> wrote:
>
>> Well, there are quite a bit of how-to files that will need to change, and I
>> think it would be good if there were a policy that justifies it.
>>
>> Otherwise, we run the risk of getting some bit wrong.
>>
>> I'm +1 to make the change.
>
> If we finally get a "short header" approved, will that render this "license
> footer" proposal obsolete?  It seems sub-optimal to update those how-to files
> once, then update them again.
>
> (Personally, I don't see why Craig's short header[1] stating simply "Licensed
> under the terms of http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0" does not
> suffice for everything we do.  But IANAL, etc...)

As I understand how things happen in the legal arena around here ...

To get a short header policy approved, someone has to say, "Here is my
practical problem on my TLP that would be solved by short headers (and
is not solved by the rules that exclude some things from copyright
altogether)". Any number of us who think it would be a good thing in
theory, but who don't represent an actual practical problem, won't cut
it.

So, the question is, do any of the authors of these JIRA fill the bill?