www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Permissive license for supporting files
Date Sat, 06 Oct 2012 00:33:03 GMT

On Oct 4, 2012, at 8:26 AM, Noah Slater wrote:

> This is my suggestion to CloudStack, so let's make it concrete and talk about my concerns.
>
> I have no problems with the Apache license, and if we could put a file under it, explicitly,
with a few lines of boilerplate, I wouldn't even bring this up. But there isn't, so I was
wondering if there might be a way to avoid the full boilerplate on small, unimportant files.
(Like default configs we're shipping. Supporting files.) I remembered that GNU (who are way
more fanatical about their license than we are) have a simple permissive boilerplate for exactly
these sorts of situations, and wondered whether we would consider that.

This actually made me chuckle.  I don't think the ASF is less fanatical about the Apache license
than the FSF is about the GPL. I think it is simply that the Apache license is less fanatical
than the GPL :-)

Ralph