www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Santiago Gala <santiago.g...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ALv2 and revision control ...
Date Tue, 04 Sep 2012 19:48:14 GMT
IANAL, my two euro cents before the euro collapses...

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 8:20 PM, Michael Meeks <michael.meeks@suse.com>wrote:

>         I had a couple of silly questions I'd love cleared up if someone
> has
> the time & inclination:
>
>         + Is it safe to take source code released by the ASF,
>           and check it as-is into a revision control system ?
>                 + given that of course, the various related
>                   requirements of the ALv2 license are satisfied.

If you mean *legally* safe , I guess the answer is yes, provided that the
license headers are preserved.

>         + Where that source code replaces code under another license
>           in that revision control system - is it acceptable to remove
>           the original code, and add the new code from the ASF in its
>           place ?

I don't understand this one. Do you mean something like, for instance,
removing a tree implementing an algorithm under, say, BSD and adding in the
same place a tree under Apache License that implements the same algorithm?

In any case, if the amount of code is substantial, keeping separate trees
is generally considered not so good netiquette, as substantial patches
there would either constitute a fork or lead to the need of tracking IP
issues (copyright assignment or contributor agreement) if they are to be
contributed back into Apache...

Using a well identified point in the source tree (say external/Apache_Foo )
to put the tree, together with a reasonable external/README might ease this
one...

Regards
Santiago (Not a lawyer, etc.)