www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: KC-46 ATS Air Force Program
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2012 11:06:24 GMT
On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 9:08 PM, Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com> wrote:
> Benson, can anyone here who desires to do so answer a request directed to Apache from
a third party? Must it be a member of the Foundation? How about our "educational" responsibility
to formulate a response from someone who actually knows the answer (and is comfortable advising
someone to consult an attorney when it isn't a matter of "due by COB 9/17") because he/she
understands the legal situation being presented. Sort of like we direct trademark questions
to our VP Brand Management.

Well, we're about to find out, since I'm sure that there are board
members reading this.

In general, volunteers respond to outsiders every hour of every day in
every corner of Apache. And, if you put on legal macro len glasses, I
bet you could find some legal exposure even if possibly

In a corporate context, I'm sure you know better than me that any
employee of a corporation can bind that corporation if it is part of
his or her job. I wonder what the equivalent situation is here at a
volunteer organization. But I don't wonder very much in this case.
I've sent a simple, informative, polite, response. It is not a formal,
binding, response to her request for certs and reps. I feel no
interest in responding to her request for certs and reps; as reported
by the secretary, the foundation typically ignores such. If she comes
back and asks for them again, I'll politely tell her that we don't do
that, and again offer to help explain to the people who sent her why
they don't need those.

What I am interested in is travelling up the educational food chain.
With the help of others here, including you, I can probably handle
this, in large part due to the many happy hours I spent in our
nations' capital for work. An opportunity here may arise for my to
stick my foot in it, but I wouldn't be particularly unusual in this
respect.

> Quite frankly, I can't imagine this being a situation where the VP Legal (or his/her
delegate) wouldn't be responsible to respond to such a request. But Apache is often cowboy
country.

> Just tell us the rules.... If I knew that we're all free to write such responses, I would
perhaps have written one myself rather than let you draft it. :-)

> /Larry

sent the woman a response, copying this list. I invited people to comment on my message so
that I could tune it for next time or for a permanent resource.

>  In the unlikely case that I get a reply consisting of a person-with-responsibility at
Boeing or their customer, I will probably feel competent to send them Dims or your links.
I can't easily imagine a situation where the VP Legal is needed.