www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Crypto export filings for Apache CloudStack (incubating)
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2012 06:35:29 GMT
Hi folks,

The crypto page [1] advises me to start a conversation here regarding
export control filings for projects that contain or depend on crypto.

A bit of background - CloudStack's source code itself doesn't contain
any crypto, but does depend and make use of various pieces of
cryptography including things like ssh, MySQL encryption functions,
java crypto libraries like bouncy castle, VPN software, etc.

I do have a copy of EAR Part 742 Supplement 6, which was filed
approximately a year ago for the open source project & product that
Cloud.com shipped - several new issues relating to  encryption have
arisen (new VPN types, default use of database encryption, etc.) since
that filing, but perhaps it serves as a good base.

In short,
What is the ASF's process for getting export filings taken care of?

Thanks,

--David
[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/crypto.html