www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: Question about copyright and license.
Date Thu, 27 Sep 2012 17:53:03 GMT
On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 1:22 AM, Mahadev Konar <mahadev@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>  I had a very basic question about  copyright/license issue. In this
> case, we have some puppet scripts which uses some standard library
> from puppetlabs. The standard library that we use are copyrighted by
> Puppet labs but is licensed under Apache. Is it ok to checkin that
> code into the project (ignoring technical issues here), keeping the
> copyright intact ? Its more of a general question of committing third
> party copyrighted code thats under Apache license.
>
> thanks
> mahadev

IANAL but lots of ASF projects include code in their repo that's from
a different source than the project itself.  The project needs to
ensure that the appropriate legal documentation is in place to
attribute the non-ASF copyrighted works (LICENSE and NOTICE files at
the project's top level).  You also have to be certain that it's a
license that is considered "compatible" with ASLv2 by the foundation.
Remember, your source code *is* your release.

-chip