www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: ALv2 and revision control ...
Date Tue, 04 Sep 2012 21:17:48 GMT
My first reaction is, why not?

More thoughts:

 1. The provenance of the Apache License code must be preserved in some manner, even if there
are later modifications under a different license.  But that's always necessary for any reliance
on third-party code, as a matter of self-protection.

 2. Even if the artifact that the code is incorporated in is not released under the Apache
License, I don't see anywhere that is a violation of ALv2.  But the applicability of ALv2
to some bits, even derivatives of those bits, needs to be accounted for in a way that satisfies
conditions in the ALv2. That might take a little more care, but I doubt it is a hardship.

 3. I would not check it in as a revision of an existing part of the tree.  It is better to
delete the existing part of the tree, and then check in the replacing code, I think.  It draws
a bright line for further diffing, etc.  (Of course, if the code is identical, you could dual
license it, but that might just be too weird.)
Since it is work-alike code, essentially, I sympathize with wanting it in the same tree so
build procedures, etc., still work.  It might be necessary to indicate the origin of the individual
files so this is reflected in individual history.

 4. If there is a desire to able to contribute changes upstream, one might keep the modified
code under ALv2, but I don't think that is a requirement.  There's no give-back or share-alike
requirement except what you are willing to do.  That part really depends on how you want to
support some sort of two-way cooperative use and how that works with the sensibilities of
developers who will touch this code have make different license grants.

 - Dennis