www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [all] NSWC and Apache license
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2012 21:15:00 GMT
Dennis,

Since this work is apparently public domain with no license without the word "copyright" in
the source code what harm to users would the AL2 have if applied?

Regards,
Dave

On Aug 10, 2012, at 1:55 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> Just a quick note to ensure that people understand that copyright cannot be claimed on
public domain works.  So, for a derivative, it might be valuable to regard the public-domain
original as a third-party work with a type A license.  Then it is clear that any application
of the Apache License applies to the changes and the overall changed document, not the remnants
of the original work.

> Translations are an odd case.  Technically, making translations is also an exclusive
right of copyright holders,  but the translation of code between programming languages seems
murky territory to me.  If one were to reverse engineer the Fortran procedures and then re-implement
the abstracted functions in the styles and idioms of another programming language, this might
be use of the idea (function) more than of the expression (that which is subject to copyright).

> I don't know what the Fortran translation requires.  For myself, I would always acknowledge
the provenance of the ideas if not the expression, and say where the original is obtained
as well.  That's perhaps more of a scholarly community requirement than what ASF might require
in the case at hand.