www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From John Kinsella <...@stratosec.co>
Subject Allowing non-committer blog posts on an Apache planet
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2012 18:34:38 GMT
(Exec summary - can a blog aggregator running on Apache infrastructure display non-committer
posts if it uses a non-apache.org address?)

Greetings folks - I'm working on setting up a "planet" blog aggregator for the CloudStack
project. In particular, we'd like the aggregated result to include posts from current committers
and PMC members, but also CloudStack users to provide their experience and POV. The intention
is for it to be similar to http://planet.apache.org/committers/, except focused on CloudStack-related
topics.

Because of our interest in allowing folks who have not signed a CLA we figured that we should
use the URL http://planet.cloudstack.org instead of http://planet.apache.org/cloudstack, as
this would not be displaying non-committers opinions under the a.o domain name. We opened
a JIRA infra ticket (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-5195) to proceed in this
direction, but the legality aspect arose again, so I wanted to discuss on legal-discuss@ to
get an official opinion.

John