www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Upcoming CloudStack release
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2012 16:54:45 GMT

> +1 Brett.  The board has been consistent for several years now that specific
> policy areas have been delegated to various officers.  Running to the board
> before the relevant VP has provided a specific answer to a specific question
> is typically not productive.

I don't think that my musing amounts, by any stretch of the
imagination, to 'running to the board,' whom I did not copy. Let me,
however, explain why I'm bemused about this. And I was, I'll point
out, the first person on this thread to explain the value of a JIRA
here.

To me, this is not a legal question. The legal question is long
decided. It's a policy question. Our policy, as I understand it, the
following: Due to FSF fud, many of our users view even LGPL as
radioactive. So we, as a Foundation, don't allow LGPL mandatory
dependencies or redistribution.

However, because the legal basis for the fud is so questionable, we're
willing, on a case-by-case basis, to make exceptions. Presumably, the
justification for an exception isn't legal. It's a cost-benefit
tradeoff between the known legal issues with LGPL, and the value to
the project's users of the exception.

At least, this suggests, to me, a template for asking for a decision
like this. The asker has to make their best case for the value of the
exception as opposed to the usual alternative: telling the user to
acquire and incorporate the dependency. There shouldn't be any bag of
uncertainty about the policy.

I'm happy to have Sam-the-person adjudicating these tradeoffs, so in
some sense the question of what hat he's wearing in the process is
moot.

I started this because (a) the original email was long on observations
that the rules are unclear, and (b) someone offered what I thought was
a potentially misleading opinion.

As for the incubator, it's the job, I suppose, of at least the mentors
to accurately present the policies to their podlings. Forget my
question about a mediating IPMC, the more interesting point is to
educate mentors about how legal works.