www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sébastien Brisard <sebastien.bris...@m4x.org>
Subject Fwd: [all] NSWC and Apache license
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2012 05:18:30 GMT
Hi,
Forwarded from the dev ML.
Any thoughts?

Best regards,
Sébastien

> FWIW -
>
> I'm forwarding the following from BF who is involved with potentially using some of these
routines in FreeBSD.

> Good luck.
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: "b. f." <bf1783@googlemail.com>
>> Date: August 9, 2012 10:47:47 AM PDT
>> To: Pedro Giffuni <pfg@apache.org>
>> Cc: Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net>, "bf@FreeBSD.org" <bf@freebsd.org>
>> Subject: Re: Fwd: [all] NSWC and Apache license
>>
>> On 8/9/12, Pedro Giffuni <pfg@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Hi Dave;
>>>
>>> The files are in a repository from bf@FreeBSD.org, a ports committer
>>> that likes to play with math solvers.
>>>
>>> I am not sure about the license and the date (1993) suggests the authors
>>> may be difficult to contact. It looks like Public Domain to me.
>>>
>>> Hi  bf. ... can you clarify the license of the NSWC routines?
>>>

>> Although I am not a lawyer, and I cannot be certain (given the varied
>> provenance of the routines, and the fact that the library was
>> assembled from 1976-1993), I believe they are in the public domain,
>> because:
>>
>> 1) One of the primary authors, Morris, says in an accompanying
>> technical report (which has been marked for unlimited public
>> distribution):
>>
>> "The subroutines in the library originate from a variety of sources.
>> Approximately
>> 40% of the subroutines were developed at NSWCDD. The remaining
>> subroutines are from
>> government, commercial, and university research centers in the U.S.
>> and abroad...
>>
>> Since the beginning of the development of the library, no proprietary
>> or otherwise
>> restricted codes have been permitted in the library. Only general
>> purpose mathematical
>> subroutines for use by the entire NSWCDD scientific community have
>> been considered for
>> the library. Restrictions on the use of any library can severely
>> impair its value, both for
>> theoretical purposes (where the source codes are frequently of prime
>> importance), and for
>> general use in applications. Since expertise is so widely scattered,
>> reliable codes are so very
>> difficult to obtain, and many of the libraries do not provide source
>> code, the policy has been
>> to make the source code of the library readily available to the
>> general scientific community." ;
>>
>> 2) "works of the U.S. government" are not subject to domestic
>> copyright protection in the U.S.; and
>> 3) the library was widely distributed by NSWC-Dahlgren and JPL for a
>> number of years.
>>
>> I don't know how this would affect Apache-licensed software.  The
>> mirrored files that you saw were for a FreeBSD Port of the NSWC
>> Mathlib that I have not yet committed to a public repository.  In
> [...]

I had previously overlooked), I guess that porting part of this lib to
CM3 is OK.
If I understand correctly, there is no copyright on the material
distributed by the US government, unless otherwise stated

"THEREFORE, you must carefully review and respect the copyright
notices and other legends on all documents that you download from
DTIC’s Web site and obtain permission from the copyright holder if you
wish to reproduce and distribute the copyrighted material separately
in another context."

Since there is no copyright notice on the FORTRAN file, I will start
porting the parts that interest me in CM3. Let's see if their algos
are more accurate...
If anyone thinks that this is wrong,  please let me know.

Best regards,
Sébastien

[1] http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/pdf/announcements/CopyrightGuidance.pdf