www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Upcoming CloudStack release
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2012 20:42:29 GMT
On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 4:31 AM, Ross Gardler <rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:

> It is not the practice at legal@ to provide broad exceptions that can
> then be misinterpreted. I suggest focusing on specific cases and asking
> for an exception in each. It might seem difficult but Sam Ruby
> (VP legal) generally declines to comment on non-specific issues when
> existing policy is well defined (as is the case here). This
> means that by discussing general cases all that will happen is we'll
> go round in circles arguing with each other about our general policy
> of not allowing dependencies (full stop).

*chuckle*

I'll break my silence simply because this discussion seems to be
focused more on process than on results.  I will say that the (often
repeated) suggestion to open a JIRA is good advice.

Background: for a variety of reasons, the ASF is unlikely to take a
stance that LGPL licensed code can be used by any project for any
purpose.  When I first became VP of Legal, this was a topic, I tried
to make sense out of this, and got a lot of people upset.  For those
who are interested, this[1] is how I made peace with the situation.

For the TL;DR crowd, the net is that if a specific project has a
demonstrable need, clearly labels the dependency, and the dependency
is optional to the point where the project does something useful
without the dependency and/or there is a viable replacement -- well in
such circumstances, there generally isn't much arguing.  And I like it
when things get decided and make progress with little to no drama.

I don't yet understand why there is a request for hosting.  Perhaps
somebody could explain the specifics here too.

And with that, I'll go back to reading mode until there are some
actual specifics to comment on.

> Ross

- Sam Ruby

[1] http://www.apache.org/legal/ramblings.html