www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Aahit <aah...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Licensing question (contribution to VCL project)
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2012 10:24:28 GMT
Hi Aaron,

For your understanding please read - "It depends on how the program invokes
its plug-ins. For instance, if the program uses only simple fork and exec
to invoke and communicate with plug-ins, then the plug-ins are separate
programs, so the license of the plug-in makes no requirements about the
main program.

If the program dynamically links plug-ins, and they make function calls to
each other and share data structures, we believe they form a single
program, which must be treated as an extension of both the main program and
the plug-ins. In order to use the GPL-covered plug-ins, the main program
must be released under the GPL or a GPL-compatible free software license,
and that the terms of the GPL must be followed when the main program is
distributed for use with these plug-ins."

Please find below the figure which explains this in two fold:

[image: Inline image 2]

Let me know if you need any further inputs from me.

Regards,

Aahit Gaba