www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Upcoming CloudStack release
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2012 06:09:05 GMT
I have to disagree with this assessment.  From a licensing perspective you are correct but
not from an ASF policy perspective.

If the project uses a category X licensed work as its "foundation" (i.e. a product designed
as an enhancement to Linux, or Windows, JBoss, etc.) and the user is expected to have installed
that as the base for the Apache licensed work then this would be acceptable. However, simply
introducing a dependency on an LGPL'd work because it provides functionality you would like
to use does NOT comply with ASF policy, even if you do not distribute it.  The only case where
such a component is acceptable is if it is fully optional (and the majority of the users will
be happy to not use the optional portion).

Ralph

On Jul 31, 2012, at 10:16 PM, Aahit wrote:

> We can use, but can not include, libraries licensed with LGPL. The licensing quirk here
is that we can write code that uses the libraries but can't include (distribute) the libraries
themselves. This means that we have to have the build.xml files out of the box with exclusions
for these source files. For each one we should document which jar files are needed, where
they can be obtained, and which build.xml file(s) need to be changed to compile the Java files
that depend on them.