www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Upcoming CloudStack release
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2012 01:39:37 GMT

On 02/08/2012, at 3:10 AM, Ewan Mellor <Ewan.Mellor@eu.citrix.com> wrote:

> My original question was with respect to a specific library – libvirt-java.  I think
all the issues are understood perfectly with respect to that library.

Sorry if I misunderstood, I thought you meant that as an example of a broader policy request.

> My question was how to bring the issue to this forum, because that’s exactly what I
was told to do by our mentors.

> There is nothing more to discuss on cloudstack-dev – we’ve already done all the discussion
we can do.

Apologies if I've missed something, but I haven't seen that. Do you have a pointer to where
another mentor told you to that, and to the decision on what was agreed to do?

I followed this thread:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-cloudstack-dev/201207.mbox/%3CCAKprHVb21r-K7=8dNcA-ixq67+Dv+Gsu_uXO_+W2pcPSn5r8vA@mail.gmail.com%3E

and saw this message:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-cloudstack-dev/201207.mbox/%3CCAKprHVa5feNc1eZicahsqwPKdn6Uezeh_So+pRBQtyEDxC2nWw@mail.gmail.com%3E

They seemed like they were headed in the right direction already, as a non-default build option
that grabs the dependency from libvirt's release separately. As I said earlier in July - KVM
is clearly a system dependency, so treating the bindings the same way seems to make sense.
Shipping convenience binaries is certainly an option. The important thing is that the source
code release has terms no more restrictive than the Apache License, and is functional with
the default options.

> We need to know whether it is possible to request exceptions to written policy in this
regard, because half the people on this thread say that it is, and half say that it isn’t.
 It’s not a case of granting the exception or not – we can’t even get an answer about
whether it’s acceptable to request one!

That confusion was why I was trying to draw it back to a concrete case - I'm not convinced
an exception is needed yet, but it certainly is acceptable to request one.

> I am happy to file a LEGAL ticket if that’s the right way to make specific requests.
 By the sounds of it, I should start there.

That's the right way, but people responding there won't understand the full context of the
discussion on cloudstack-dev, so it'll need to contain the specific details of what are being
requested, and point to a conclusion on cloudstack-dev that explains why it is needed.

Thanks,
Brett

--
Brett Porter