www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jan Willem Janssen <janwillem.jans...@luminis.eu>
Subject Re: Regarding the use of cryptographic libraries in Apache projects
Date Thu, 09 Aug 2012 07:10:56 GMT

Thanks for the pointers, Matt.

For my understanding: did the Geronimo project only have to mention
the use of the Bouncycastle in the NOTICE file and that's it? Or is
there more to this?

And: does the Geronimo project need to re-consult Legal about these
issues for each and every (future) release, or only once?

Regards,

  Jan Willem

On 8/8/12 7:54 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:
> Geronimo had this issue a while back.  Here is a JIRA related to a
> problem with the IDEA algorithm and IP issues:
>
> Here is the notice file in the Apache Geronimo project located in
> trunk
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/server/trunk/NOTICE
>
> On Aug 8, 2012, at 10:54 AM, Jan Willem Janssen
> <janwillem.janssen@luminis.eu> wrote:
>
> Hi list,
>
> For the Apache ACE project we're trying to figure out how we
> should deal with the reference to the BouncyCastle cryptographic
> library.
>
> As far as I can find, [1] classifies all Apache projects for
> export regulations. However, it refers to [2] for the use of
> cryptographic material, which appears to be out of date.
>
> What is the current procedure to include cryptographic libraries
> such as BouncyCastles in Apache projects?
>

> [1] http://www.apache.org/licenses/exports/ [2]
> http://www.apache.org/dev/crypto.html

- --
Met vriendelijke groeten | Kind regards