www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Joe Brockmeier <...@zonker.net>
Subject Documentation Licenses: CC-BY-SA 3.0?
Date Thu, 09 Aug 2012 16:00:08 GMT
The CloudStack (incubating) project is in the process of putting its
documentation in shape, and we're wondering about the possibility of
using the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike (CC-BY-SA) 3.0.

I see that Apache projects may include CC-BY-SA works[0], but the page
specifically calls out "unmodified media," which suggests that the idea
is that a project may include CC-BY-SA works from other sources, but it
doesn't look like CC-BY-SA would be a recommended license for material
created within the project. (Or perhaps I'm over-thinking that.)

Looking through the legal-discuss list I've found very little discussion
of CC-BY-SA at all, and most about prior versions of the license.

Can anyone give me an opinion on whether CC-BY-SA 3.0 would be an
acceptable license for our documentation going forward. (Either alone,
or perhaps dual-licensed.) The CC-BY-SA 3.0 license does seem to have
passed muster with a number of other open source projects. (Fedora has
adopted it, and it seems to be a DFSG-approved license, whereas 2.5 was
not.)

Thanks!

Joe

[0]: http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#cc-sa