www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Oracle Binary Code License Agreement and Apache License 2.0
Date Sun, 05 Aug 2012 07:35:03 GMT

On Aug 3, 2012, at 3:05 AM, seba.wagner@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> is this question so hard to answer and has too many possible effects
> that nobody wants to
> or so trivial that nobody has time to answer ?
>
> JavaMail itself does contain another License.txt, I have copied the
> content of that License.txt to pastebin:
> http://pastebin.com/C3tW6D5u

I can't see how either the BINARY Code License Agreement (referenced below), or the Entitlement
for Software/Software License Agreement (referenced above) would be interpreted as open source
licenses. So, no. I wouldn't treat them as equivalent to an open source license like CDDL.

You should look at http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javamail/index.html for alternate
sources of JavaMail (e.g. javamail project, the java.net maven repo, etc) under the CDDL/GPL
 license.

Alternatively, the Geronimo project has an ALv2 licensed JavaMail implementation.

--kevan