www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Importing Documentation under CC-3.0 license into CouchDB project
Date Mon, 13 Aug 2012 04:06:18 GMT
There appears to be some confusion about differences among Creative Commons licenses.  The
Creative Commons Attribution is what is known as CC/By and there is no problem with it.  Creative
Commons Non-Commercial and Creative Commons Share-Alike are the problems and the discussion
you found was about CC-SA.

In addition, CC-0 is a quit claim -- it effectively makes a work public domain except that
the copyright owner can, I suppose, still provide derivatives under more-restrictive licenses
because the copyright does not disappear (in the US, at least).

With regard to CC-By, it is the copyright holder who gets to say what is an acceptable attribution,
and even to require that there be no attribution in a particular case.  In my experience,
it is rare to find information about what an acceptable attribution might be.

It seems to me that working with publisher-ready "sources" (i.e., DocBook) rather than the
published form does not relieve one of honoring the origin.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Davis [mailto:paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, August 12, 2012 15:56
To: dev@couchdb.apache.org
Cc: legal-discuss@apache.org
Subject: Re: Importing Documentation under CC-3.0 license into CouchDB project

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 2:54 AM, Dave Cottlehuber <dave@muse.net.nz> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The CouchDB project received a donation of API docs [docs]
> and build tools from company CouchBase [jan1][mc2],
> with our PMC (Jan Lehnardt) OK to proceed [jan3].
>
> 1. The licence of contribution is CC-3.0A [mc4][cc5]. Is this
> compatible?
>
> 2. As this is a substantial contribution, can you advise if there's
> any special requirements prior to pushing this into the ASF
> couchdb repo? Link on legal site [asf6] suggest this should
> be OK with attribution [dch7].
>
> Thanks, Dave
> dch@apache.org
>
> [docs]: https://github.com/dch/couchdb/commit/6f64082f91ff33b4cf1d847974e353d275aa3889
> [jan1]: http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/201106.mbox/%3CA5609C66-8D46-46E7-AFF3-73C2FBB5E574@apache.org%3E
> [mc2]: http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/201107.mbox/%3C35A99514-1B35-4B5A-AF53-9073DCE226C5@couchbase.com%3E
> [jan3]: http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/201202.mbox/%3CD09607BA-AD27-43BD-B5C8-00CAA687A447@apache.org%3E
>
> [mc4]: http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/201202.mbox/%3CD04AEC0B-4C8E-43DF-8B0E-6290B9C12129@couchbase.com%3E
> [cc5]: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/
> [asf6]: http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#cc-sa
>
> [dch7]: https://github.com/dch/couchdb/blob/merge_docs/NOTICE#L77-91

I'll point out that a reason that we're wondering about compatibility
is that we found a section in the legal docs that mentions CC license
and specifically mentions not altering the imported work at [1].

The current plan in CouchDB to import these docs will be to pull the
original XML (DocBook) sources that CouchBase created, translate them
into a format for Sphinx (Python's plain text system) and then
continue to edit/maintain them alongside the rest of CouchDB's
sources.

[1] http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#cc-sa