www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Upcoming CloudStack release
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2012 12:47:53 GMT

On 02/08/2012, at 10:27 PM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com> wrote:

> In my personal opinion, a request for an exception to the LGPL policy
> from a podling should be put up for discussion at general@incubator
> before being sent to legal. However, that's just my opinion, and
> anyone who wants to throw a tomato at me for manufacturing a spurious
> procedure is welcome to do so.

*lob* :)

IMO, the incubator is for pointing podlings at the right resources, not becoming a layer of
indirection. But I'm not sure we need to get into the role of the Incubator here ;)

> More broadly, I wonder if it really should be legal, as opposed to the
> board or some other delegate, who decides if adequate justification is
> offered for such an exception.

As a policy question, I think the board has already delegated that authority to this committee:
"the Legal Affairs Committee be and hereby is responsible for establishing and managing legal
policies based on the advice of legal counsel and the interests of the Foundation".

Cheers,
Brett