www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Advice on relicensing our own work to Apache 2
Date Sun, 29 Jul 2012 20:08:55 GMT

On Jul 29, 2012, at 12:38 PM, Martin Desruisseaux wrote:

> Hello Ralph
>
> Thanks for your feedback
>
> Le 29/07/12 21:00, Ralph Goers a écrit :
>> While the LGPL grants the right to distribute the work along with other works that
are under different licenses, it doesn't grant the right to change the license of the LPGL'd
work, which is what you are attempting to do.  The only way I am aware that that can be accomplished
is to have the copyright holders grant permission to do that.

> Of course, but our interrogation is about an other license than the LGPL one. When we
signed the Copyright Assignment to OSGeo, we were granted back a license allowing us a "perpetual,
irrevocable, worldwide, royalty­free, license to use, copy, prepare derivative works of,
publicly display or perform, and distribute the Submission" [1]. There is no condition associated
to this license, in particular no explicit obligation to distribute the contribution under
the LGPL license. I don't know if such condition is legally implicit, however I note that
the Apache and LGPL licenses make such conditions explicit.

License to "use, copy, prepare derivative works of, public display or perform and distribute
the submission" does not include the right to relicense.  For an example take a look at the
MIT license - http://opensource.org/comment/935 - where the word "sublicense" is included.

Ralph