www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ewan Mellor <Ewan.Mel...@eu.citrix.com>
Subject RE: Upcoming CloudStack release
Date Mon, 30 Jul 2012 23:02:46 GMT
Hi everyone,

I didn't get any response to my email on Friday (see below).  I don't know how you would like
me to bring these dependency discussions to this forum, and I'd appreciate some advice on
that.

Thanks,

Ewan.

From: Ewan Mellor
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2012 1:50 PM
To: 'legal-discuss@apache.org'
Subject: Upcoming CloudStack release

Hi all,

I am preparing CloudStack for its first official release with Apache-incubated status.  As
part of this, we have been re-architecting to avoid dependencies on various non-Apache-licensed
components.  There are a small number of these that are essential to major subsystems, and
I am told that I can discuss them with this group and ask for approval for our release plan.

As an example, CloudStack manages virtual machines running on KVM using libvirt-java, which
is licensed under LGPL 2.1.  This is essential to the KVM feature, but it is not commonly
available as a system library.  I propose releasing CloudStack with KVM support optional and
disabled in the default build.  For the convenience of those who would like to enable that
KVM support, I am asking for permission to host an unmodified release version of libvirt-java
in binary and source form, plus to host binaries from an alternate build of CloudStack with
KVM support enabled.

We have a number of such dependencies.  How would you like to handle these?  I could open
one thread on each particular dependency, if that is convenient, or we could discuss a general
policy in this situation.  (I have been through the online policy documentation with a fine-toothed
comb and I haven't found what I need in sufficient clarity.)

Note that some of these dependencies are more complicated because they aren't open-source
(NetApp and VMware support in particular).

Thanks,

Ewan Mellor,
Director, Open-Source Engineering, Cloud Platforms,
Citrix Systems.