www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Martin Desruisseaux <martin.desruisse...@geomatys.fr>
Subject Re: Advice on relicensing our own work to Apache 2
Date Sat, 28 Jul 2012 22:14:53 GMT
Hello Benson

Thanks you very much for your reply. As Chris said, we are already in
touch with the Apache SIS project for offering our code under the Apache
rules. The majority of that code is not contentious. However there is a
portion of it, that we wrote ourselves in another open source project,
for which we feel in need for a legal advice. Unfortunately I think that
my previous email was unclear, so please allow me to rephrase:

We granted copyright to an other non-profit organisation. We are trying
to figure out if the agreement that we signed with that organisation
allows us to re-license our own work to the Apache 2 license. The
agreement that we signed is there: http://download.osgeo.org/osgeo/legal/

The paragraph that we are trying to interpret was posted in my previous
email, but I copy it here for convenience:

    "The Foundation hereby grants the Contributor the non­exclusive,
    perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty­free, license to use,
    copy, prepare derivative works of, publicly display or perform, and
    distribute the Submission."

Since we are not layers, we have difficulty to interpret if the above
paragraph give us the right to re-license our work. We think it does -
it would be consistent with the OSGeo way of working for other projects,
but we feel not 100% sure. Of course we are also trying to get
clarification directly from the OSGeo board, but we didn't received an
answer yet despite some discussions, which is why we would appreciate an
external advice.

     Thanks,

         Martin