www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Regarding Java and the LGPL (fwd)
Date Fri, 01 Jun 2012 17:41:31 GMT
On Jun 1, 2012 6:29 AM, "Mark Struberg" <struberg@yahoo.de> wrote:
> As someone pointed out, this is also a much more complex 'political'
game. If Oracle does _not_ appeal, would they than risk getting sued by
their own share holders (for not trying to do in their best interrest) ?

Nah... I can't see a damage award being all that high. Likely quite a bit
less than the cost to litigate.

I also seem to recall reading somewhere that appealing a *jury* trial is a
huge burden to overcome. Appealing one judge's thoughts is one thing, but a
jury? Difficult.

And recall that appeals are usually based on procedure or interpretation of
law. Facts from the original case cannot be appealed... they're facts :-)
(and I seem to recall jury answers become a fact).

Cheers,
-g