www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: MPLv2 on AL2 header review ...
Date Tue, 29 May 2012 14:19:11 GMT
I'm going to join this thread for my own education. I think I see a
core point of discussion here, but I may be off base.

So, we have this large body of source files, with copyright scattered
all over creation, distributed under the ALv2.

You are planning to make some relatively small changes to these files,
and are posing questions about the licensing, copyright, and IP status
of the results.

I suspect, based on your email, that you are thinking about this in
terms of creating derived works of the original source, claiming
copyright on the derived work, and then licensing the derived work
using a weak copyleft.

Roy's email, I think, disputes the notion that these initial
mechanical changes actually create derived works. His email focussed
on the copyright and license of *the modifications*, not the whole
thing. Of course, I may just be confused.

To claim copyright, an individual, identified, human being has to do
work that meets the criteria for copyright, and then that human being
can in turn assign his or her rights to some corporate entity. Roy's
email encourages you to mark up the actual, concrete, changes.