www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: MPLv2 on AL2 header review ...
Date Wed, 30 May 2012 17:13:51 GMT
To be clear: In general, providing legal advice is not a service
the ASF provides to "external" entities. Whatever legal services
we do provide are on the behalf of the projects of the ASF.

I simply don't want any confusion or uncertainly to arise
regarding that, which could theoretically result in risk
to the ASF and/or its members and projects. I want to avoid
the potential that someone would follow the discussion and
interpret any position statements as legal advice without
checking the validity of that advice, and then take action
on that interpretation, resulting in major Badness for that
person and "hey! The ASF said I could do that! But I can't!"
and take action against us.