www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From cia...@member.fsf.org (Ciarán O'Riordan)
Subject Re: Scope of AL-2 patent grant
Date Fri, 25 May 2012 20:04:29 GMT

> I believe that this is addressed in the FAQ:
>     http://www.apache.org/foundation/license-faq.html#PatentScope

That's not about the Apache License.  Those four questions discuss
something called Apache's Grant of Patent License, which I guess is
section 3 of this:
http://www.apache.org/licenses/cla-corporate.txt

> I think for a specific interpretation of the language in the license, it would
> be best to talk to a lawyer.

This isn't a question of translating legalese, so a lawyer isn't
necessary and probably wouldn't do a better job than the authors and the
experts directly involved with this licence.

The licence authors must know if the patent grant is broad or narrow.

--
Ciarán O'Riordan
+32 (0) 485 118 029