www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From cia...@member.fsf.org (Ciarán O'Riordan)
Subject Re: Scope of AL-2 patent grant
Date Fri, 25 May 2012 21:31:22 GMT

> It's also section 3 of the Apache License version 2.0.

Aha, thanks.

The FAQ is indeed talking about the contributor agreement, not the
licence, since it talks about granting things to the ASF.  But, the
patent grant is the same in the agreement and the licence (besides
grammatical adaptations), so that FAQ does answer my question:

The patent grant is broad, covering the contributor's contribution plus
the code that was in the project at the time of the contribution.

Maybe the FAQ should include a note to say that the information also
applies to the Apache License.  Most people won't do the digging and
comparison I did.

(I also found this interesting from the FAQ:
 "Q2:
    If at any time after my contribution, I am able to license other
    patent claims that would have been subject to Apache's Grant of
    Patent License if they were licenseable by me at the time of my
    contribution, do those other claims become subject to the Grant of
    Patent License?
  A2:
    Yes."

 I find that surprising.  I've no need for information on it, but in the
 unlikely case that someone has a link to a mailing list thread about
 how this works, I'd be interested to read it.)

Thanks, and have a great weekend!
--
Ciarán O'Riordan
+32 (0) 485 118 029