www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Determining unnecessary notices from Airavata distribution
Date Mon, 14 May 2012 13:05:02 GMT
Sorry if my question was too vague.

Airavata depends on quite a few apache projects including Jackrabbit, Xerces Java, XmlBeans,
Axis2, Derby, Woden, xml-commons, and Xalan. Looking at the third party notice requirement
[1], I went through non-apache dependencies and included their notice files if explicitly
mentioned. Am i assuming correctly that we should include all NOTICEs of apache project dependencies?
Can you please point me to a reference which will provide guidance on what should be included
and what should be eliminated from [2].

Thanks,
Suresh
[1] - http://apache.org/legal/resolved.html#required-third-party-notices
[2] - https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/airavata/trunk/modules/distribution/src/main/resources/NOTICE

On May 13, 2012, at 11:41 AM, Suresh Marru wrote:

> Hi,
>
> During a recent release, we had the following comments on Airavata binary notice file
[1] and the corresponding license file [2]. Based on Ate's comments we removed the extra NOTICEs
for SLF4J, DOM4J, ICU4J and few others. But can some one please look at the NOTICE file [1]
and comments below and suggest examples on what still is unnecessary and removed?

> On Apr 25, 2012, at 4:35 PM, Ate Douma wrote:
>
>> * binary NOTICE file
>> - I think there are some unneeded/unwanted entries still. Some notices and copyright
statements should not legally be needed nor are they requested.
>> For instance for BSD/MIT like licenses which already are provided for verbatim in
the LICENSE file itself, there is no need to (and thus should not) be covered *also* in the
NOTICE file. Having those in the LICENSE file should be enough. And certainly so if the 3rd
party artifact doesn't have or require an explicit NOTICE file itself. I think this applies
to the NOTICE entries for SLF4J, DOM4J, ICU4J, Jettison, etc. Please do check if each of these
notices really are necessary/required.

>> - A different thing is the NOTICE provided for commons-logging (1.1.1).
>> The commons-logging jar come with a NOTICE file of its own (being an ASF release
it should). But IMO the additional content copied verbatim from that NOTICE file can be ignored
and thus removed. It concerns the following section:

>>  This product includes/uses software(s) developed by 'an unknown organization'
>>  - Unnamed - avalon-framework:avalon-framework:jar:4.1.3
>>  - Unnamed - log4j:log4j:jar:1.2.12
>>  - Unnamed - logkit:logkit:jar:1.0.1
>>
>> Only log4j is actually bundled with airavata and as an ASF artifact doesn't need
extra NOTICE coverage. And as the other referenced artifacts aren't included or used there
is no need to 'honor' this part from the common-logging NOTICE file.
>> The ASL 2.0 license sections 4.d) says: "[...], excluding those notices that do not
pertain to any part of the Derivative Works."