www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Michael Meeks <michael.me...@suse.com>
Subject Re: MPLv2 on AL2 header review ...
Date Wed, 30 May 2012 08:33:41 GMT
Hi Benson.

On Tue, 2012-05-29 at 10:19 -0400, Benson Margulies wrote:
> I'm going to join this thread for my own education. I think I see a
> core point of discussion here, but I may be off base.

        :-)

> So, we have this large body of source files, with copyright scattered
> all over creation, distributed under the ALv2.

        Sure; and Roy's helpful advice explained that a copyright
statement is really not a good idea; much appreciated :-) If you notice
the updated header proposal I posted, and the version in the wiki - that
is fixed - thanks for that.

> You are planning to make some relatively small changes to these files,
> and are posing questions about the licensing, copyright, and IP status
> of the results.

        We have a large number of changes all across the code of varying
size and expression, that is true; finding a single, agreed yard-stick
for expressiveness & creativity for some tens of thousands of commits to
a many tens of thousands of files seems unlikely to work well :-)

> I suspect, based on your email, that you are thinking about this in
> terms of creating derived works of the original source, claiming
> copyright on the derived work, and then licensing the derived work
> using a weak copyleft.

        The updated plan is not to claim copyright on the code and to
following the ASF licensing model in that regard.

> Roy's email, I think, disputes the notion that these initial
> mechanical changes actually create derived works. His email focussed
> on the copyright and license of *the modifications*, not the whole
> thing. Of course, I may just be confused.

        More likely it is me that is confused :-) However, I believe the
(C) aspect is an unrelated, and now closed red-herring.

        But of course IANAL,

        Thanks for your patience,

                Michael.