www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Github pull requests vs JIRA checkbox
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2012 19:20:13 GMT
On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 2:02 PM, Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 4:45 AM, Martijn Dashorst
> <martijn.dashorst@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the quotation. It clarifies a lot. Unless someone disagrees
>> with Roy's statements, I'll assume this to be the guiding principle.
>>
>> So from my example, the B and C variants would satisfy the guiding principle.
>
> Here's a recent Github pull request submitted for CouchDB and captured via the
> dev@couchdb.a.o mailing list:
>
>  http://s.apache.org/Vmi
>
> In terms of what makes it to the mailing-list, it seems similar to a JIRA
> notification.  In my judgment, that message suffices to document the
> contributor's intent according to Roy's criteria.
>
> However, there's one difference: when someone submits a patch via the issue
> tracker or via a mailing list, we also get the IP content of the contribution
> itself.  Granted, someone can delete a JIRA attachment, but still...
>
> Perhaps it's possible to augment the pull request notifications with the SHA
> sums from the commit sequence?
>
> Marvin Humphrey

Just a note to say that the consensus here is my current understanding
of the ASF policy on accepting contributions. We've got a page [1] on
the CouchDB wiki that describes how we're implementing this as a
project (though its a pretty straight forward implementation of Roy's
email).

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/CommitPolicy