www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Benjamin Eberlei <kont...@beberlei.de>
Subject Re: Questions about ZetaComponents Incubator retired from Apache, moving to Github
Date Wed, 25 Apr 2012 18:00:01 GMT
On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 2:22 PM, Daniel Shahaf <d.s@daniel.shahaf.name>wrote:

> Benjamin Eberlei wrote on Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 12:17:55 +0200:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > there was a vote to retire ZetaComponents from Apache Incubator last week
> > which passed and now we (some but not all of the committers) want to move
> > the code to a new Github organization now, to allow third parties to
> > continue development and have a central place to apply patches and allow
> > forks from. Regarding this move we have several questions with regard to
> > the retirement status:
> >
> > 1. Should the copyright for all code so far stay with Apache or is a
> > copyright re-assignment to the respective authors usual?
> >

> The ASF does not have its committers assign copyright to it, so the
> copyright stays with the original committers of each change (or their
> employers).  You can rely on that, or on the ALv2 license the ASF
> presents to you (and to anyone else).

Ok, and what about changing the header notices? Currently its this:

https://github.com/apache/zetacomponents/blob/trunk/Archive/src/archive.php
https://github.com/apache/zetacomponents/blob/trunk/Archive/NOTICE

> > 2. Does this move constitute a fork with regard to
> > http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0 ยง 4.2.? In that case, what
> kind
> > of additional header should we include in all files?
> >
> > Example: "This project was forked from retired Apache Project Zeta
> > Components "
> >
> > Does it need to be in all files? Does the NOTICE file suffice?
> >
> > 3. What abou the name of the project "Zeta Components". Does Apache own
> the
> > right to that name and do we have to change this? We are not sure about
> > "who" is the "owner" of the name.
> >

> I would suggest that you contact trademarks@ (privately-archived list)
> and ask whether they would be okay with you reusing the name.  Such
> a request is likelier to be approved if it's the same group of people as
> the (retired) podling.

I wrote a mail to trademarks@. Lets hope to get an answer :-) The list
didnt send me a mail back, so i hope it reached the destination.