www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Benjamin Eberlei <kont...@beberlei.de>
Subject Questions about ZetaComponents Incubator retired from Apache, moving to Github
Date Wed, 25 Apr 2012 10:17:55 GMT
Hello everyone,

there was a vote to retire ZetaComponents from Apache Incubator last week
which passed and now we (some but not all of the committers) want to move
the code to a new Github organization now, to allow third parties to
continue development and have a central place to apply patches and allow
forks from. Regarding this move we have several questions with regard to
the retirement status:

1. Should the copyright for all code so far stay with Apache or is a
copyright re-assignment to the respective authors usual?

2. Does this move constitute a fork with regard to
http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0 ยง 4.2.? In that case, what kind
of additional header should we include in all files?

Example: "This project was forked from retired Apache Project Zeta
Components "

Does it need to be in all files? Does the NOTICE file suffice?

3. What abou the name of the project "Zeta Components". Does Apache own the
right to that name and do we have to change this? We are not sure about
"who" is the "owner" of the name.

I would be gladful for any hints how to pursue this move.

greetings,
Benjamin