www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Github pull requests vs JIRA checkbox
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2012 19:02:57 GMT
On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 4:45 AM, Martijn Dashorst
<martijn.dashorst@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the quotation. It clarifies a lot. Unless someone disagrees
> with Roy's statements, I'll assume this to be the guiding principle.
>
> So from my example, the B and C variants would satisfy the guiding principle.

Here's a recent Github pull request submitted for CouchDB and captured via the
dev@couchdb.a.o mailing list:

  http://s.apache.org/Vmi

In terms of what makes it to the mailing-list, it seems similar to a JIRA
notification.  In my judgment, that message suffices to document the
contributor's intent according to Roy's criteria.

However, there's one difference: when someone submits a patch via the issue
tracker or via a mailing list, we also get the IP content of the contribution
itself.  Granted, someone can delete a JIRA attachment, but still...

Perhaps it's possible to augment the pull request notifications with the SHA
sums from the commit sequence?

Marvin Humphrey