www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [RE-VOTE #3] adoption of mod_combine subproject
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2012 02:14:02 GMT
On 4/3/2012 8:53 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 9:37 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>> Where is the process documented?
>
> http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt
>
>> Excellent.  I think we agree on critera.  Our only difference of opinion is that,
>> on my reading of the ICLA, it's impossible for a committer to do what you are
>> asking the committer to confirm they have not done.
>
> You are seriously asserting that it is IMPOSSIBLE (emphasis added) for
> a committer to commit something that is not their original creation,
> or to not include complete details of any third-party license or other
> restriction, or to not have received permission to make Contributions
> on behalf of that employer or (need I go on)?

... without violating the terms of their ICLA contract with the ASF.

Yes, that's what I'm saying.

> So, to recap: the documentation is posted on our website (link
> helpfully provided above), and each and every one of those things
> listed is clearly possible.  From time to time, they even happen.  It
> is the PMC's job to monitor for such occurrences and to apply
> remediation when necessary.

Reminders to all committers at various points of the scope of their
contract with and responsibilities towards the ASF with respect to their
commit privileges seems like a good idea to me, too.  Can we find a way
to do that without treating every commit as suspect?