www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Daniel Shahaf <...@daniel.shahaf.name>
Subject Re: Questions about ZetaComponents Incubator retired from Apache, moving to Github
Date Wed, 25 Apr 2012 18:55:40 GMT
Benjamin Eberlei wrote on Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 20:00:01 +0200:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 2:22 PM, Daniel Shahaf <d.s@daniel.shahaf.name>wrote:
>
> > Benjamin Eberlei wrote on Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 12:17:55 +0200:
> > > Hello everyone,
> > >
> > > there was a vote to retire ZetaComponents from Apache Incubator last week
> > > which passed and now we (some but not all of the committers) want to move
> > > the code to a new Github organization now, to allow third parties to
> > > continue development and have a central place to apply patches and allow
> > > forks from. Regarding this move we have several questions with regard to
> > > the retirement status:
> > >
> > > 1. Should the copyright for all code so far stay with Apache or is a
> > > copyright re-assignment to the respective authors usual?
> > >

> > The ASF does not have its committers assign copyright to it, so the
> > copyright stays with the original committers of each change (or their
> > employers).  You can rely on that, or on the ALv2 license the ASF
> > presents to you (and to anyone else).
> >

> Ok, and what about changing the header notices? Currently its this:
>
> https://github.com/apache/zetacomponents/blob/trunk/Archive/src/archive.php
> https://github.com/apache/zetacomponents/blob/trunk/Archive/NOTICE

Perhaps you should follow what ASF's own legal FAQs say about importing
3rd-party ALv2-licensed code (and handling its headers).

> I wrote a mail to trademarks@. Lets hope to get an answer :-) The list
> didnt send me a mail back, so i hope it reached the destination.

It did.

I do wonder, though: if personally it is the same group of people, why
did you decide to work on the project on github rather than on ASF?
general@ archives say "lack of activity"...?