www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@links.org>
Subject Re: Antideficiency Act
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2012 10:22:59 GMT
On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 12:58 AM, Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com> wrote:
> [This email is NOT confidential.]
>

> A colleague recently sent me his notes from a U.S. Department of Defense
> "Open Source Software Public Meeting" last January. This meeting was held
> primarily to discuss with government suppliers of software the new DFARS
> policies on the acquisition of open source software. I had reviewed the
> DFARS document a few months earlier and expected no particular issues to
> arise at the meeting. I didn't go.
>

> However, I learned later that there were several references at that meeting
> to the Antideficiency Act, codified generally at 31 U.S.C. §§ 1341(a), 1342,
> and 1517(a). These obscure (to me) statutes prohibit any government agency
> from authorizing any obligation in excess of the amount appropriated unless
> authorized by law.
>

> This affects Apache because of this obscure (to me) provision in Apache
> License 2.0:
>

> 9. Accepting Warranty or Additional Liability. While redistributing the Work
> or Derivative Works thereof, You may choose to offer, and charge a fee for,
> acceptance of support, warranty, indemnity, or other liability obligations
> and/or rights consistent with this License. However, in accepting such
> obligations, You may act only on Your own behalf and on Your sole
> responsibility, not on behalf of any other Contributor, and only if You
> agree to indemnify, defend, and hold each Contributor harmless for any
> liability incurred by, or claims asserted against, such Contributor by
> reason of your accepting any such warranty or additional liability.
> [Emphasis added by underlining.]
>

> Here is how my colleague described the particular "incompatibility" between
> the Antideficiency Act and Apache License 2.0 that affected one of his
> client's transactions:
>

> We are using certain Apache code in one of our proprietary products.  The
> code is subject to Apache 2.0 and we make the necessary disclosure of this
> in our software license.  After reviewing the Apache 2.0 license, a division
> of the Army (one of our customers) believes that Section 9 (indemnification)
> constitutes an Anti-Deficiency Act (ADA) violation and therefore has
> rejected the order on grounds that it cannot accept this ADA risk.  An ADA
> violation arises when a Government agency makes or authorizes an expenditure
> or obligation of money (i) in excess of the amount available in an
> appropriation or fund (31 USC 1341(a)(1)(A)) or (ii) due to a contract or
> obligation for the payment of money before an appropriation is made, unless
> authorized by law (31 USC 1341 (a)(1)(B)).  Indemnification clauses run
> afoul of the ADA because the Government in essence is agreeing to an unknown
> monetary amount in absence of an appropriation.
>

> We have argued incessantly to the Army that we do not believe that the
> indemnification clause applies to them so long as they merely use the
> software program as a consumer (i.e. so long as they do not offer
> [...]

Well, it seems to me the licence says "you can only do X if you offer
indemnity", and the ADA says "you can't offer indemnity", so it seems
quite clear that this means the ADA says "you can't do X". So, I'd
suggest they don't do X, and we're all happy.

If the Army want to be morons, that's up to them, surely?