www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Releasing Plugins for 3th Party Software from Apache Openmeetings
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2012 13:18:08 GMT
On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 9:10 AM, seba.wagner@gmail.com
<seba.wagner@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> thanks for your answer let me describe the situation for the plugins:
>
> Moodle-Plugin:
> Was released both under EPL and LGPL in the past, LGPL was the last release,
> released Oct,2011 (version 1.3) at our old project website:
> http://code.google.com/p/openmeetings/downloads/list
>
> SugarCRM:
> Was released under GNU AFFERO GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE so far. Released
> version 1.2 Nov,2011 at our old project website:
> http://code.google.com/p/openmeetings/downloads/list
>
> Atlassian Jira Plugin + Atlassian Confluence Plugin
> Was newly developed, there is no initial source for that plugin except the
> ones in the Apache SVN. There are no releases of the Jira or Confluence
> Plugin for Apache OpenMeetings yet.
>
> Let me know if you need any further details on that.

You don't just simply pick up work released under other (generally
incompatible licenses) and release them under the Apache License - one
must first establish that we have the rights to make such a release.
More information on this can be found here:

http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html

tl;dr: if we get a Software Grant for each and the openmeetings
podling is willing to oversee and maintain the code going forward,
there will be no problem.  See also section 7 of the ICLA for other
options.

> Thanks!
> Sebastian

- Sam Ruby