www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Christian Moen ...@atilika.com>
Subject Re: use of LICENSE and NOTICE
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2012 08:29:02 GMT
Hello Larry and Oliver,

Do we have a legal interpretation of the meaning of GPLv2 being applied to these dictionaries?
 Does the GPLv2 have any impact on the overall software package here if they are distributed
together, i.e. does the so-called "viral clause" of the GPLv2 apply?

My apologies if this is a FAQ.  If it is, kindly refer me to the right information if you
happen to have it easily available.

Many thanks,

Christian

On Mar 28, 2012, at 4:37 PM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:

> Hi Larry
>
> On 27.03.2012 19:31, Lawrence Rosen wrote:
>> Oliver,
>>
>> Have you decided whether the LICENSE file or the NOTICE file (or neither)
>> will inform users and customers of Apache OpenOffice that, for the first
>> time, an Apache project will be distributing GPLv2 dictionaries?
>>
>> Not that I object to that in the least! It is simply that some companies
>> foolishly call GPLv2 a "Prohibited License" and may have contractual or
>> policy obligations to avoid it.
>>

> Thanks for the hint.
>
> This has not been decided yet.
> I will start a corresponding discussion at ooo-dev.
>
> The decision that we want to bundle such dictionaries in our planned binary packages
is to satisfy the expectation of our users - it is convenient for a user to have these available,
esp. for users who are mainly non-technicians.