www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <orwittm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: use of LICENSE and NOTICE
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2012 07:37:10 GMT
Hi Larry

On 27.03.2012 19:31, Lawrence Rosen wrote:
> Oliver,
>
> Have you decided whether the LICENSE file or the NOTICE file (or neither)
> will inform users and customers of Apache OpenOffice that, for the first
> time, an Apache project will be distributing GPLv2 dictionaries?
>
> Not that I object to that in the least! It is simply that some companies
> foolishly call GPLv2 a "Prohibited License" and may have contractual or
> policy obligations to avoid it.

Thanks for the hint.

This has not been decided yet.
I will start a corresponding discussion at ooo-dev.

The decision that we want to bundle such dictionaries in our planned binary
packages is to satisfy the expectation of our users - it is convenient for a
user to have these available, esp. for users who are mainly non-technicians.

Best regards, Oliver.