www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <orwittm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: use of LICENSE and NOTICE
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2012 15:05:14 GMT
Hi,

[sorry for not directly replying to the corresponding thread named in the
subject, but I have just subscribed to this list.]

I am Oliver-Rainer Wittmann (orw@apache.org) working on Apache OpenOffice
(incubating).
I am the one who started a corresponding thread on ooo-dev regarding the LICENSE
and the NOTICE file.
Thx to Greg to start a corresponding thread here.

In order to continue my work on the LICENSE file and NOTICE file for AOO
(incubating) I want to share here what I have found out and how I want to proceed:

List of links on apache.org with information regarding the content of the
LICENSE file and the NOTICE file which I have found:
[1] http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice
[2] http://apache.org/legal/resolved.html#required-third-party-notices
[3] http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#header-existingcopyright
[4] http://www.apache.org/licenses/example-NOTICE.txt
[5] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice-license
[6] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice-notice

My intepretation of this information and the information given in this thread at
legal-discuss is the following:
- Content of LICENSE file - general conclusion:
-- Apache license at the top
-- Licenses of all 3rd party components included in the specific package of a
release inclusive a clear identification of the files to whose the license apply.

- Content of NOTICE file - general conclusion:
-- Standard copyright notice as given at [1] at the top
-- Notices which are required by 3rd party component licenses which should be
quite rare.

- Further conclusions by orw for the Apache OpenOffice (incubating) project:
-- We (AOO incubating) are planning to release a source package and binary
packages. The binary package will include certain category-b licensed
components. Thus, I assume that we need for each package an own LICENSE file and
an own NOTICE file.
-- The LICENSE file and the NOTICE file for the source package will cover the
licenses of our source files.
-- The LICENSE files and the NOTICE files for the binary package will cover
additionally all licenses from the enabled category-b licensed components.

If there are no objections I will continue my work regarding the above
interpretations.

Thanks in advance for further comments/remarks/examples/...

Best regards, Oliver.