www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject License footer?
Date Sun, 19 Feb 2012 15:32:47 GMT
Hi,

Our policy [1] says that "Each source file should include the
following license header ..."

Inspired the discussion in [2] and my recent work with languages that
don't put dozens of lines of import statements and other less
interesting stuff at the beginning of a source file, I started
questioning [3] the practice of putting such license notes as headers
at the *beginning* of all source files. The result of this practice is
that whenever you open a source file in a non-folding editor or
browser, you start by scrolling down to find the actual source code.
It would be nicer if the most frequently accessed content (i.e. the
actual source) was right there at the beginning if the file.

So I wonder if it would be OK to use a license footer instead of a
header in source files where such an arrangement makes more sense,
i.e. put the license info at the *end* of a file. Such files could
still start with a one-line comment like "// Licensed under the Apache
License, Version 2.0. See footer for details." for people who expect
to find license info at the beginning of a file.

WDYT?

[1] http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-124
[3] https://twitter.com/#!/jukkaz/status/169068322611146753