www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject ICLA needed for all contributions? (Fwd: Contributions policy for those with no ICLA)
Date Thu, 16 Feb 2012 13:17:23 GMT
Hi,

Taking this to legal-discuss@ to confirm my assumption (as shown
below) that an ICLA is only *required* for commit access, not for all
contributions.

There seems to be some confusion about this point, so it would be nice
if either my assumption is confirmed or the text in [1] fixed.

[1] http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas

BR,

Jukka Zitting

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 12:25 PM
Subject: Re: Contributions policy for those with no ICLA
To: callback-dev@incubator.apache.org

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 11:45 AM, Ross Gardler <rgardler@apache.org> wrote:
> [ASIDE many people in the ASF argue that the contribution under the
> Apache License is sufficient, this is not the forum for this
> discussion, current policy is that an ICLA is required - the forum to
> seek policy change is legal-discuss@a.o]

Citation needed.

The current policy as described in [1] explicitly does *not* require
an ICLA for all contributions. The relevant part is:

   "The ASF desires that all contributors of ideas, code, or documentation
   to the Apache projects complete, sign, and submit (via postal mail, fax
   or email) an Individual Contributor License Agreement (CLA) [PDF form].
   The purpose of this agreement is to clearly define the terms under which
   intellectual property has been contributed to the ASF and thereby allow
   us to defend the project should there be a legal dispute regarding the
   software at some future time. A signed CLA is required to be on file
   before an individual is given commit rights to an ASF project."

Note the use of "desires" instead of "requires" here. A CLA is only
"required" before direct commit access can be given.

PS. Sorry that we're giving mixed signals as mentors here. When
something like that happens, the best solution is to look up the
authoritative text on www.apache.org.