www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Committers' hobby projects
Date Tue, 28 Feb 2012 17:18:48 GMT
With all due respect, I think that this thread is mixing a legal issue
with a community management issue.

>From a legal standpoint, Roy's point is that a committer with an ICLA
can contribute code that has lived on github like he or she could
contribute any other code. In contributing it, he or she is asserting
that it is entirely his or her own work. If other people have had
commit rights, then we've got a more complex situation, and clearance
comes into play.

>From a community standpoint, single giant commits can be
anti-community, since they interfere with incrementalism and
supervision. However, it's for each community to deal with this. For
something like commons, which is made up of a collection of
medium-sized relatively independent modules, the PMC might be
perfectly comfortable with discussion and review followed by a giant
commit.