www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Committers' hobby projects
Date Tue, 28 Feb 2012 01:33:42 GMT
This is covered by our "short form" IP clearance in the Incubator:
  http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html

Roy said a person can just "check it in" (ie. option A), but I don't
think that is really true. Recognize that the software has been
developed outside of our community engagement. Suddenly turning this
large piece of code into "Apache code" is generally considered
improper. We don't normally let people develop entire products
*outside* of the ASF community process, then dump it into source
control, and then call it ASF code.

The short-form clearance is intended to ensure that the PMC
recognizes, as a whole, what is arriving in its repository. That each
of the people who have committed to that code (whether one, or
several) have the proper ICLAs on file. etc.

If you're talking about 100 lines of code, then what the heck... just
commit it. But if you're talking about a subproject that is moving
into Commons, then please use the short-form clearance.

Cheers,
-g

ps. the "short form" looks a lot longer than I remember it to be; that
process should be streamlined, which is something to discuss on
general@incubator